Subject: Re: bug#15312: Info (point-entered, point-left): Doc incomplete, hence incorrect

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 09:48:11 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 16:32:16 -0400
> 
> > To get this right, we need to decide what is the correct behavior in
> > this case.  Do we want the hooks to be called for each point motion,
> > or do we want them to be called only at point-min and point-max?
> 
> I think the correct thing to do is too costly for an operation that's
> performed every time we move point.

So you think in this specific situation the hooks need indeed be
called for each point move?  Or did you mean something else as "the
correct thing"?

Perhaps we need to step back and talk about the situations where these
hooks are supposed to be used.  Because I cannot see any sense in
calling the hooks when the values of these properties don't change.
Maybe you already thought about all that, and the conclusion is the
same, but I think for the record it is important to have the
discussion here.

> The right thing to do is to declare point-entered and point-left
> properties as obsolete and replace them by something like cursor-entered
> and cursor-left properties which are only checked at command boundaries
> (or better, checked just before redisplay).

Redisplay can be forced as part of a command.