Subject: bug#15305: closed (Re: bug#15305: 24.3; saveplace "End of file during parsing" on require/load)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2013 23:16:02 +0000

Your bug report

#15305: 24.3; saveplace "End of file during parsing" on require/load

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
15305: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=15305
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#15305: 24.3; saveplace "End of file during parsing" on require/load
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2013 19:15:37 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.4

Thanks; fixed.

Subject: 24.3; saveplace "End of file during parsing" on require/load
From: Christopher Wellons <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 23:12:40 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

During loading saveplace.el, `load-save-place-alist-from-file' signals
an "End of file during parsing" error when `save-place-file' exists but
is empty. This bug cannot be triggered using -Q, so the simplest way to
demonstrate this is to set the contents of the .emacs to this:

    (setq save-place-file (make-temp-file "save-place"))
    (require 'saveplace)

And then launch Emacs normally. The save-place-file isn't normally
empty, so such an error isn't really saveplace's fault, but I think
having the error thrown during load is unfriendly.

The issue this has caused for me is autoloading some other library that
requires saveplace. The error abruptly disrupts the entire loading
process and I have to re-enter the command that triggered autoloading.