Subject: 24.3, CEDET EDE documentation outdated (esp. ede-java-root)

From: Stephen Gilles <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 20:01:53 -0400

Hello,

I am attempting to set up an EDE java project, using CEDET bundled
with Emacs.

C-h i m EDE RET

Gives me documentation for which 

Miscellaneous commannds > Simple Projects > ede-java-root

describes commands which indicated that adding to my .emacs:

----8<--------8<--------8<----
(global-ede-mode t)
(ede-java-root-project "Test"
                       :file "/path/to/ede_proj_root/build.xml"
                       :classpath '((expand-file-name "$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/rt.jar"))
                       :localclasspath '("some_other_lib.jar")
                       :srcroot '("src"))
----8<--------8<--------8<----

should be legal. When I do so and start emacs, I get the error:

----8<--------8<--------8<----
Warning (initialization): An error occured while loading `$HOME/.emacs':

Symbol's function definition is void: ede-java-root-project

To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error backtrace.
----8<--------8<--------8<----

Now for my speculation: When I run cedet-version, I see that EDE is
version 1.2, but from my own investigation the documentation seems to
match that of ede 1.1 extremely closely. Older versions of CEDET
provided lisp/cedet/ede/java-root.el, but my version of Emacs does not
provide this file.  I would imagine that the functionality has been
abstracted into another type of project somewhere, but I'm not sure
what that is, and since the documentation is out of date I can't
confirm this.

--
S. Gilles

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.2)
 of 2013-08-04 on number18
Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/usr' '--build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu'
 '--host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu' '--mandir=/usr/share/man'
 '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--sysconfdir=/etc'
 '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--libdir=/usr/lib64'
 '--disable-silent-rules' '--disable-dependency-tracking'
 '--program-suffix=-emacs-24'
 '--program-transform-name=s/^(emacs)-[0-9].*-//'
 '--infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-24'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.7.3/../../../../lib64'
 '--with-gameuser=games' '--without-compress-info' '--without-hesiod'
 '--without-kerberos' '--without-kerberos5' '--with-gpm' '--with-dbus'
 '--with-gnutls' '--without-xml2' '--without-selinux'
 '--without-wide-int' '--with-sound' '--with-x' '--without-ns'
 '--without-gconf' '--without-gsettings' '--without-toolkit-scroll-bars'
 '--with-gif' '--with-jpeg' '--with-png' '--with-rsvg' '--with-tiff'
 '--with-xpm' '--without-imagemagick' '--without-xft' '--without-libotf'
 '--without-m17n-flt' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3'
 'GENTOO_PACKAGE=app-editors/emacs-24.3-r2'
 'build_alias=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu'
 'CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe -march=native' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed'
 'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  global-ede-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x o C-x 0 C-h r m B U G S DEL DEL DEL u TAB g s TAB 
RET C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-p C-p C-p n n n n q ESC O A C-x h C-g C-g 
C-g C-g C-g C-h r m B u g s RET C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-p C-p 
C-p C-p C-p C-n C-n RET ^ C-n RET C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-p C-p ^ C-n C-n C-p C-p C-p 
C-p C-p C-p C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n RET ESC x r e p 
o TAB r TAB RET

Recent messages:
PGP version set to GPG.
Loading $HOME/.emacs.d/lisp/uncrustify.el (source)...done
Loading htmlify...done
Loading tidy...done
Loading term/xterm...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...
Mark set [2 times]
Quit [5 times]
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/hex-util hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/hex-util
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/md4 hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/md4
~/.emacs.d/lisp/flymake hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/progmodes/flymake
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/hmac-md5 hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/net/hmac-md5
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/sasl-ntlm hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/net/sasl-ntlm
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/sasl-digest hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/net/sasl-digest
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/sasl-cram hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/net/sasl-cram
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/ntlm hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/net/ntlm
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/hmac-def hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/net/hmac-def
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/sasl hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/net/sasl
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/wl/rfc2368 hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/mail/rfc2368
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/semi/smime hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/gnus/smime
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/wl/utf7 hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/gnus/utf7
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/semi/pgg-pgp5 hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/obsolete/pgg-pgp5
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/semi/pgg-def hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/obsolete/pgg-def
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/semi/pgg-gpg hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/obsolete/pgg-gpg
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/semi/pgg-pgp hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/obsolete/pgg-pgp
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/semi/pgg hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/obsolete/pgg
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/semi/pgg-parse hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/obsolete/pgg-parse

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils help-mode jka-compr info warnings
tidy ede/cpp-root ede/emacs ede/speedbar ede/files ede ede/base ede/auto
ede/source eieio-base eieio-speedbar eieio-custom wid-edit semantic/sb
speedbar sb-image dframe semantic/sort semantic/format ezimage
semantic/tag-ls semantic/find semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic
semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet flymake tramp
tramp-compat auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs cl-macs gv
shell pcomplete format-spec cl cc-defs auto-complete popup compile
uncrustify mailcrypt rfc822 comint ansi-color ring autorevert latex
easy-mmode edmacro kmacro tex-style tex dbus xml advice help-fns cl-lib
advice-preload easymenu time-date whitespace site-gentoo mime-setup
mail-mime-setup alist semi-setup path-util poe pym static apel-ver
product semi-def tex-site auto-loads tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit
x multi-tty emacs)