Subject: bug#1529: 23.0.60; Recursive load: tramp.elc

From: Gregor Zattler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 00:23:06 +0100

Dear emacs developers,
* Trent W. Buck <[email-masked]> [11. Dec. 2008]:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 07:01:01AM +0100, Michael Albinus wrote:
>> [email-masked] writes:
>> 
>>> I get this sometimes, and it's bloody annoying, because once I get it
>>> I don't know how to actually use tramp without restarting Emacs.

Same for me since a few days.  Since a few days/weeks tramp is loaded
every time a file is opened. That slows things down.  

This is 
GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.3) of 2009-10-23 on elegiac, modified by Debian

and this is the error message:

require: Recursive load:
"/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/net/tramp.elc",
"/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/net/tramp-cmds.elc",
"/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/net/tramp.elc",
"/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/net/tramp-cmds.elc",
"/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/net/tramp.elc",
"/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/net/tramp-cmds.elc",
"/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/net/tramp.elc",
"/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/net/tramp-cmds.elc",
"/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/net/tramp.elc"

>>> Loading tramp...
>>> require: Recursive load: "/usr/share/emacs/23.0.60/lisp/net/tramp.elc", "/usr/share/emacs/23.0.60/lisp/net/tramp-cmds.elc", "/usr/share/emacs/23.0.60/lisp/net/tramp.elc", "/usr/share/emacs/23.0.60/lisp/net/tramp-cmds.elc", "/usr/share/emacs/23.0.60/lisp/net/tramp.elc", "/usr/share/emacs/23.0.60/lisp/net/tramp-cmds.elc", "/usr/share/emacs/23.0.60/lisp/net/tramp.elc", "/usr/share/emacs/23.0.60/lisp/net/tramp-cmds.elc", "/usr/share/emacs/23.0.60/lisp/net/tramp.elc"
>> 
>> How do you load Tramp in your .emacs? Does it happen also, when you start
>> "emacs -Q"?
> 
> I don't load tramp in my .emacs.  I can't reproduce this just by
> starting a new Emacs, either with or without -Q -- it's something that
> seems to happen only when there's some additional condition that I
> rarely trigger.
> 
> To give a completely unfounded example, it might only happen if Emacs
> is started indirectly by emacsclient, and then later I try to use
> ido-find-file.
> 
> As far as I can remember, the error itself is always triggered when
> using ido-find-file, and not when e.g. clicking on a file in dired.

While I also have ido enabled here it now happens when calling
emacs-client from a shell script which in turn is called by mutt in
order to reply to an email.  Therefore I write this bug report with "jed".

Elsewhere in this thread/bug report the package emacs-goodies-el was
mentioned.  I have emacs-goodies-el installed.  My personal emacs
configuration has one tramp configuration:

 '(tramp-copy-size-limit 0 nil nil "otherwise TRAMP fails when there are no inline transport methods")
 
but does not "require" nor "load" tramp.  There is no file tramp.el or
similar in my private load-path.  

I'm trapped in this recursion loop since emacs loads tramp even when I
try kill-emacs.

Now I killed emacs, started a new emacs session (no problems so far)
and cut 'n paste the info it attaches to a bug report.

I don't speak elisp but would like to help you debug this bug.

Thanks for emacs,
Gregor

In GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.3)
 of 2009-10-23 on elegiac, modified by Debian
 (emacs-snapshot package, version 1:20091023-1)
configured using `configure  '--build' 'i486-linux-gnu' '--host' 'i486-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes' '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp' '--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=5000 -g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g -Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: POSIX
  value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Post

Minor modes in effect:
  flyspell-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  cua-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
ESC x r e p o TAB C-g C-g C-h a b u g RET ESC ESC [ 
6 ~ ESC ESC [ 6 ~ C-g C-g C-x 1 ESC x r e p o TAB r 
TAB RET

Recent messages:
Starting Emacs daemon.
Modification-flag cleared
Starting new Ispell process [deutsch8] ...
Recognizing tables...done
When done with a buffer, type C-x #
Making completion list...
Quit [2 times]
Type C-x 1 to remove help window.  
Quit [2 times]
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/emms/tq hides /usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq

Features:
(shadow mail-extr message ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp
ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc gmm-utils mailheader
canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug sendmail apropos
help-mode view pp flyspell ispell server mule-util cal-move appt
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs ffap ff-paths
savehist recentf tree-widget avoid org-remember org byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile org-footnote org-src org-list org-faces org-compat org-macs
noutline outline remember emms-volume easy-mmode emms-volume-amixer
format-spec emms-tag-editor emms-i18n emms-mark emms-history
emms-bookmarks emms-last-played emms-stream-info emms-metaplaylist-mode
emms-lastfm emms-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-util url-parse timezone url-vars mm-util
mail-prsvr mailcap emms-browser sort emms-playlist-sort emms-score
emms-player-xine emms-player-mpd tq emms-playing-time emms-lyrics
time-date emms-streams emms-mode-line emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-info later-do emms-playlist-mode
emms-player-mplayer emms-player-simple emms-source-playlist
emms-source-file emms-setup emms emms-compat muse-docbook muse-texinfo
texnfo-upd texinfo muse-latex muse-html muse-xml-common cus-edit
cus-start cus-load muse-publish muse-project muse-protocols info
muse-regexps wid-edit muse muse-nested-tags muse-mode filladapt table
post derived hl-line time paren uniquify sr-speedbar cl cl-19 advice
help-fns advice-preload speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe easymenu assoc
wdired dired-x dired-aux dired regexp-opt ido cua-base edmacro kmacro
package reporter muse-autoloads emms-auto emacs-goodies-el
emacs-goodies-custom emacs-goodies-loaddefs tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face text-properties overlay
md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)