Subject: 24.3.50; Starting a new emacsclient -t instance with another instance running in a separate terminal causes display corruption in the first instance.

From: Chow Loong Jin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 09:46:17 +0800

Steps to reproduce:
1. Start the daemon: emacs -Q --daemon
2. Start emacsclient: emacsclient -t
3. Open a new terminal, and start another emacsclient instance:
   emacsclient -t
4. Go back to the first emacsclient instance, and notice that there's
   some text corruption that can't be cleared without closing that
   emacsclient instance. ^Z followed by fg doesn't get rid of the issue
   either.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.6.4)
 of 2013-09-01 on wani10, modified by Debian
 (emacs-snapshot package, version 2:20130831-1~ppa1~raring1)
System Description:	Ubuntu 13.04

Configured using:
 `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --host x86_64-linux-gnu
 --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.3.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --without-compress-info --with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-imagemagick=yes
 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=5000 -g -O2'
 CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 'LDFLAGS=-g -Wl,--as-needed
 -znocombreloc''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_SG.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_SG.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_SG.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Apropos

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  global-subword-mode: t
  subword-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  global-cwarn-mode: t
  global-linum-mode: t
  linum-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  yas/global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC
O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O B ESC O A ESC O A
ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC
O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B
ESC O A C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-p C-p C-p C-p
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p ESC ` h b

Recent messages:
uncompressing bug-reference.el.gz...done
Note: file is write protected
Mark set
Beginning of buffer [8 times]
funcall: Beginning of buffer [4 times]
Beginning of buffer
End of buffer [34 times]
Beginning of buffer [20 times]
Making completion list... [2 times]
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only [51 times]

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/php-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3.50/site-lisp/php-elisp/php-mode
/usr/share/emacs/24.3.50/site-lisp/cmake-data/cmake-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode
/usr/share/emacs/24.3.50/site-lisp/cscope/xcscope hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/xcscope
~/.emacs.d/linum hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/linum
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/rst hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/textmodes/rst
/usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/prolog-el/prolog hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/progmodes/prolog

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail mail-utils tmm electric jka-compr apropos tbemail org-clock
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-iso rect help-mode ispell todoo bookmark pp
mule-util cal-move parse-time tabify image-file org-w3m org-wl org-vm
org-rmail org-mhe org-mew org-irc org-habit org-jsinfo org-infojs
org-html org-exp ob-exp org-exp-blocks org-info org-gnus gnus-util
org-agenda sh-script smie executable org-docview org-bibtex bibtex
org-bbdb org-capture org-mks org byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-src ob-comint ob-keys
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp
ob org-compat org-macs ob-eval org-loaddefs format-spec find-func
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs noutline outline shell cmake-mode
debian-control-mode esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc
esh-arg eldoc esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util pcomplete
debian-bug rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
debian-changelog-mode make-mode view magit-bisect magit-key-mode magit
diff-mode log-edit pcvs-util dired windmove dabbrev thingatpt misearch
multi-isearch add-log vc-git python xterm server hideshow disp-table
fill-column-indicator paren ido whitespace superword subword hl-line
cwarn cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cus-start cus-load
linum-relative linum Oblivion-theme cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs git-commit xcscope tiling quick-yes smarttabs autosave
auto-complete-config ac-python rx auto-complete popup which-func imenu
whattf-dt html5-langs debian-el debian-el-loaddefs advice yasnippet
help-fns derived edmacro kmacro cl-macs gv easymenu time-date assoc
compile comint ansi-color ring mmm-auto mmm-vars mmm-compat cl
cl-loaddefs cl-lib magit-install emacs-goodies-el emacs-goodies-custom
emacs-goodies-loaddefs easy-mmode dpkg-dev-el dpkg-dev-el-loaddefs
devhelp tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin