Subject: bug#15265: Emacsclient (Win32) has no "ignore parameter" parameter

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 12:07:32 -0400

This report came via an unusual email address (moderators.isc.org), and
so ended up in the wrong package. (Please send bug reports by mail, not
by newsgroup.) Resending so that it appears on the bug-gnu-emacs list:

From: [email-masked] (Jens K. Loewe)
Subject: Emacsclient (Win32) has no "ignore parameter" parameter

Probably this is rather a feature request than a bug report (there is no
gnu.emacs.requests group AFAICS):

I would like to replace notepad.exe calls on Windows with emacsclientw
calls. A common workaround for that is to use the "Debugger" registry
entry [1] which sends all calls to notepad.exe to a "debugger" process -
usually another text editor.

This, however, also sends a "notepad.exe" parameter to the given client,
so if I define the notepad.exe debugger as "emacsclientw -na
runemacs.exe", it opens notepad.exe (as text) in Emacs.

GVim, for example, just ignores that parameter, other text editors like
Notepad2 and AkelPad use a "/z" parameter, meaning "ignore the next
parameter", for that. In emacsclientw, my chosen workaround is to add
the "-F" parameter. [2] This is a dirty solution but it somehow works.

So my feature request is: Add a parameter to emacsclientw which means
"ignore the following parameter". :-)

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2984846/set-image-file-execution-options-will-always-open-the-named-exe-file-as-defaul
[2] http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/1294/itu.png