Subject: bug#15260: cannot build in a directory with non-ascii characters

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 20:33:07 +0200

> Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 18:47:32 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> I'm sure there's more to this saga, I'm just half-way through it...

The next round is here:

  # The actual Emacs command run in the targets below.

  emacs = EMACSLOADPATH="$(abs_lisp)" LC_ALL=C "$(EMACS)" $(EMACSOPT)
                                      ^^^^^^^^

Does anyone know or remember why we set LC_ALL=C while running
commands in lisp/ (and the same in leim/)?  The following log entry
in lisp/ChangeLog.13 is the only clue:

  2008-02-01  Kenichi Handa  <[email-masked]>

	  * Makefile.in: Be sure to run emacs with LC_ALL=C.

But there's no explanation as to why this is needed.

What this does is prevent bootstrap-emacs from finding Lisp files,
because LC_ALL=C implies -- you guessed it -- file-name encoding by
Latin-1, whereas the file names are really encoded in UTF-8 on this
system:

  cd ../lisp; make -w compile-first EMACS="/home/e/eliz/bzr/emacs/xáéçö/src/bootstrap-emacs"
  make[2]: Entering directory `/srv/data/home/e/eliz/bzr/emacs/xáéçö/lisp'
  Compiling emacs-lisp/macroexp.el
  Warning: Could not find simple.el or simple.elc
  The EMACSLOADPATH environment variable is set, please check its value
  Lisp directory /home/e/eliz/bzr/emacs/x<E1><E9><E7><F6>/lisp not readable?

If I remove the LC_ALL=C setting from lisp/Makefile.in and
leim/Makefile.in, I get past this problem (to the next one ;-).

So: any reasons not to remove this setting from lisp/Makefile.in and
leim/Makefile.in?