Subject: bug#15260: cannot build in a directory with non-ascii characters

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 23:04:49 +0300

> From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>,  Kenichi Handa <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 15:15:06 -0400
> 
> Sounds like a fair bit of work, for something that doesn't seem very
> important.

It might be important for people who build Emacs on non-English
language systems.

> If my testing was correct, the problem only occurs during
> building, not after Emacs is installed (does that tally with what you
> found?).

It definitely happens when building.  I didn't look deep enough to see
what happens once Emacs is installed.  The code is definitely wrong.

> And I can't see any reason why anyone _needs_ to build Emacs in
> a directory with non-ASCII chars. 

It might be a natural thing in some quarters.  E.g., Emacs sources
might be a subdirectory of some parent directory with a non-ASCII name
where many other packages are built.

Anyway, if the project thinks it's not important enough, I have better
things to do.