Subject: bug#15251: closed (Re: bug#15251: 24.3.50; do-auto-fill "continues" comment from inside a string)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 01:19:02 +0000

Your bug report

#15251: 24.3.50; do-auto-fill "continues" comment from inside a string

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
15251: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=15251
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#15251: 24.3.50; do-auto-fill "continues" comment from inside a string
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked],Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 04:18:25 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.4

On 30.09.2013 21:27, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Stefan, can we consider `syntax-ppss' fast enough at this point?
>
> If comment-use-syntax is t, yes.

Done, in 114486.

I kept the rest of `comment-beginning' definition, in case 
non-syntax-table-using comments can still be font-locked in some modes.

Also, `comment-use-global-state' looks like a better var to base the 
choice on, semantically, but it's not auto-detected, and it's only used 
in `comment-search-forward'.

Subject: 24.3.50; do-auto-fill "continues" comment from inside a string
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 04:26:26 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In certain conditions, if I press SPC, and a string on the current line
contains text matching `comment-start-skip', the filling is performed,
and the newly created line starts with a comment.

Examples (point is at |, fill-column is 70):

ruby-mode:

aa = "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa#{}a" a|

press SPC =>

aa = "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa#{}a"
                                #a

js-mode:

aa = "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa//a" aa|

press SPC =>

aa = "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa//a"
//aa