Subject: "ls -R" may exit with invalid status code

From: FUJIWARA Katsunori <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 21:41:06 +0900

With recent "src/ls.c" implementation of coreutils, "ls -R" may exit
with invalid status code LS_FAILURE, even when it should exit with
LS_MINOR_PROBLEM, which means some failure for files/directories in
sub-directories.

Technical detail:

  "command_line_arg" argument of "gobble_file()" invocation in
  "print_dir()" is always "false", because it is invoked for
  files/directories under target directory: they never be command line
  argument.

  In the other hand, "command_line_arg" argument of
  "extract_dirs_from_files()" invocation in "print_dir()" is equal to
  "command_line_arg" of "print_dir()", even though directories under
  target one never be command line argument.

  This causes that every sub-directories in recursive listing are
  treated as command line argument, and "serious" argument of
  "file_failure()" invocation for them becomes "true" unexpectedly.

  Then, "ls -R" will exit with invalid status code LS_FAILURE, when
  some failure occur for files/directories in sub-directories.

The change below should fix this issue.

diff --git a/src/ls.c b/src/ls.c
index e341c67..08e86ce 100644
--- a/src/ls.c
+++ b/src/ls.c
@@ -2647,7 +2647,7 @@ print_dir (char const *name, char const *realname, bool command_line_arg)
      contents listed rather than being mentioned here as files.  */

   if (recursive)
-    extract_dirs_from_files (name, command_line_arg);
+    extract_dirs_from_files (name, false);

   if (format == long_format || print_block_size)
     {

----------------------------------------------------------------------
[FUJIWARA Katsunori]                             [email-masked]