Subject: Re: bug#15247: 24.3.50; Emacs Cygwin crashes when replying to a mail

From: Katsumi Yamaoka <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 19:02:37 +0900

Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:
> Recently Emacs on Cygwin crashes pretty often when I try to reply
> to a mail in a new frame[1] using Gnus.  I feel the frequency gets
> high if a mail cites Japanese and Chinese mixture text (so, it's
> due to decoding of characters?).  But it hardly crashes if I have
> a new empty message frame in advance besides the summary frame.

I realized that this is caused by `make-frame-invisible' that runs
when there is only one Emacs frame.  At least for Cygwin, you should
be able to reproduce it in this way:

emacs -Q --eval '(make-frame-invisible (selected-frame) t)'

I also guess that it was harmless until about a week ago.

Why such an odd thing was run is because I was using this advice
to make `raise-frame' work on Cygwin.

(defadvice raise-frame (before make-it-work (&optional frame) activate)
  "Make it work on Cygwin."
  (make-frame-invisible frame t))

As I wrote in <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/150533>,
`raise-frame' doesn't raise iconified, invisible, or hidden frame.
Now I changed it into:

(defadvice raise-frame (before make-it-work (&optional frame) activate)
  "Make it work on Cygwin."
  (or (eq frame (selected-frame))
      (make-frame-invisible frame)))

Even if Emacs should not crash for any Lisp code, it's a trivial
one among many(?) issues concerning Cygwin.  So, I'm closing this
bug.  Sorry for the noise.