Subject: Re: bug#15245: Search and replace, but based on text properties (inclulding face properties)

From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 23:55:17 +0530

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> Also, when you say "convert" it makes me realize that you asked about
> search and *replace*, not just search.  Not sure what you have in mind
> there.

The idea is a quick and dirty to convert a text rendered by eww in to
Org format.

----------------------------------------------------------------

For example, if eww read 

    <b> bold text </b>

and converted it to

       bold text   (Imagine a bold face)

I can do a search and replace on bold text property and get 

      *bold*

which is the Org equivalent for a bold markup.

----------------------------------------------------------------

For example, if eww read 

    <h2> level 2 headline </h2>

and converted it to

       level 2 headline   (Imagine a bold face, but with text property :tag h2)

I can do a search and replace on h2 property and end up with

      ** level 2 headline

which is the Org equivalent for a headline.  If it was Creole or Oddmuse
it will be (I think) 
     
     == level 2 headline

----------------------------------------------------------------
 
This is a quick and dirty way of "importing" an HTML document in to
plain markup text.  I have a feeling that it can be useful.