Subject: 24.3; Shell completion error: comint-last-prompt-overlay

From: Rodrigo Rodrigues <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 20:55:47 -0300

Shell completion is broken. I'm getting the error:

completion--some: Symbol's value as variable is void: 
comint-last-prompt-overlay
Looking at comint.el I can't find "comint-last-prompt-overlay", but I see:

(defvar comint-last-prompt nil
"Markers pointing to the last prompt.
If non-nil, a cons cell containing markers. The car points to
the start, the cdr to the end of the last prompt recognized.")
So I suppose that "comint-last-prompt-overlay" is gone in favor of 
"comint-last-prompt".

I was using the snapshot packages of emacs:
GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.6.4)
of 2013-08-22 on louvi, modified by Debian

Now I turned back to the stable 24.3 version, so the configuration
details auto bundled with this mail are not the same.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.6.4)
of 2013-08-22 on meitnerium, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11303000
System Description: Ubuntu 13.04

Configured using:
`configure '--build' 'i686-linux-gnu' '--build' 'i686-linux-gnu'
'--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
'--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
'--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
'--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp' 

'--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
'--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
'build_alias=i686-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector
--param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall'
'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro'
'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
value of $LANG: pt_BR.UTF-8
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Python

Minor modes in effect:
fic-ext-mode: t
global-flycheck-mode: t
global-undo-tree-mode: t
undo-tree-mode: t
ido-everywhere: t
popwin-mode: t
icomplete-mode: t
drag-stuff-global-mode: t
drag-stuff-mode: t
delete-selection-mode: t
show-paren-mode: t
electric-pair-mode: t
winner-mode: t
display-battery-mode: t
global-linum-mode: t
linum-mode: t
global-hl-line-mode: t
desktop-save-mode: t
global-auto-revert-mode: t
recentf-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
column-number-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t
hs-minor-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o <return> r <return>

Recent messages:
Cleaning up the recentf list...done (0 removed)
My Loading nil...
My Loading /home/rodrigo-rodrigues/.emacs.d/.emacs.desktop...
passwordGtk.py has auto save data; consider M-x recover-this-file
File mode specification error: (void-function smart-operator-mode-on) [2 
times]
Wrote /home/rodrigo-rodrigues/.emacs.d/.emacs.desktop.lock
Desktop: 2 buffers restored.
Symbol's function definition is void: smart-operator-mode-on
Making completion list...
No expansion found

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp/debian-startup hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/rst hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/textmodes/rst
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/home/rodrigo-rodrigues/.emacs.d/elpa/pkg-info-20130817.2334/.dir-locals 
hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals
/home/rodrigo-rodrigues/.emacs.d/elpa/tabulated-list-20120406.2251/tabulated-list 
hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/emacs-lisp/tabulated-list

Features:
(shadow sort disp-table fill-column-indicator gnus-util mail-extr
hippie-exp emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
thingatpt fic-ext-mode hideshow python comint ansi-color flycheck
find-func help-mode rx pkg-info f dash s undo-tree derived easy-mmode
cl-macs gv diff cl ido popwin icomplete whole-line-or-region drag-stuff
delsel paren electric winner ring diminish battery linum hl-line desktop
autorevert recentf tree-widget wid-edit edmacro kmacro zenburn-theme
info easymenu finder-inf package advice help-fns cl-lib advice-preload
time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)