Subject: bug#15230: 24.3; Inconsistency in Tools menu

From: "neutrico.pl Marcin Antczak" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 13:08:38 +0200

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgment at that address.

There is "Games" position in "Tools" menu.
I'm not sure if it should belong to this menu.

It should be removed or accessible as something optional.

Another problem is that in "Tools" menu there are toggle type buttons such as:

- Project Support (EDE)
- Source Code Parsers (Semantic)

These options are not "tools". They do nothing functional. They are just turning some features on and off but have no immediate functional meaning.

Another problem is that we have more similar options to add ther and this could turn into an extensible and almost
unlimited list of external features available to turn on and off.

We could add positions such as:

- Code Browser
- Code Snippets
- Syntax Checking

etc.

Then we will get a long and hard to navigate list of toggle buttons which
belong to "Options" menu rather than to "Tools".

Another solution is to move this list to submenu.
For example:

"Tools" -> "Features >> "

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.6.4)
 of 2013-08-22 on menkib, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11303000
System Description:	Ubuntu 13.04

Configured using:
 `configure '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu'
 '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
 '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
 'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro'
 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: pl_PL.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

--
Marcin Antczak
http://www.neutrico.pl