Subject: bug#15226: closed (Re: bug#15226: 24.3; frame-background-mode docstring on not setq)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 01:31:02 +0000

Your bug report

#15226: 24.3; frame-background-mode docstring on not setq

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
15226: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=15226
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#15226: 24.3; frame-background-mode docstring on not setq
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 21:30:06 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.4

Fixed.

Subject: 24.3; frame-background-mode docstring on not setq
From: Kevin Ryde <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 10:26:01 +1000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The docstring of frame-background-mode says

    Don't set this variable with `setq'; this won't have the expected
    effect.

but doesn't say what you should in fact do.  Perhaps something like
below.  Unless frame-set-background-mode is meant to be internals ...

2013-08-31  Kevin Ryde  <[email-masked]>

	* frame.el (frame-background-mode): Docstring describe
	frame-set-background-mode after setting and suggest
	custom-set-variables from .emacs.

diff -c /down/emacs-bzr/lisp/frame.el.orig /down/emacs-bzr/lisp/frame.el
*** /down/emacs-bzr/lisp/frame.el.orig	2013-08-31 10:01:50.000000000 +1000
--- /down/emacs-bzr/lisp/frame.el	2013-08-31 10:23:16.000000000 +1000
***************
*** 872,879 ****
    "The brightness of the background.
  Set this to the symbol `dark' if your background color is dark,
  `light' if your background is light, or nil (automatic by default)
! if you want Emacs to examine the brightness for you.  Don't set this
! variable with `setq'; this won't have the expected effect."
    :group 'faces
    :set #'(lambda (var value)
  	   (set-default var value)
--- 872,886 ----
    "The brightness of the background.
  Set this to the symbol `dark' if your background color is dark,
  `light' if your background is light, or nil (automatic by default)
! if you want Emacs to examine the brightness for you.
! 
! If this variable is changed with `setq' then call
! `frame-set-background-mode' on each frame to update existing
! faces.  The customize interface updates after setting and that
! can be used from .emacs or similar with for example
! 
!     (custom-set-variables '(frame-background-mode 'dark))"
! 
    :group 'faces
    :set #'(lambda (var value)
  	   (set-default var value)

Diff finished.  Sat Aug 31 10:23:38 2013

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2013-05-29 on blah.blah, modified by Debian
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux unstable (sid)

Configured using:
 `configure '--build' 'i486-linux-gnu' '--build' 'i486-linux-gnu'
 '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
 '--with-x-toolkit=lucid' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars' '--without-gconf'
 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro -Wl,-znocombreloc'
 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_AU
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t