Subject: bug#15221: provide a mechanism to activate readline systemwide

From: "Arne Babenhauserheide (IMK)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 15:04:25 +0200

Hi,

Not having readline at the guile interpreter from the get-go in a GNU
environment was a quite scarring experience for me, so it would be great
to have a way to enable readline by default.

init.scm could provide that, but:

<wingo> it seems to search the load path for init.scm
<wingo> before loading anything else
<wingo> tricky though, apparently that happens even before loading boot-9

Ideally there should be either a compileflag or a systemwide config file
to enable readline support in the whole system. If it is a compile-flag
it might be useful to not make it default, because developers why
develop proprietary applications could then by accident compile a
program with activated readline support.

If such a flag existed, most GNU/Linux distributions could simply
activate it for guile itself (as long as they do not ship unfree scripts
using guile which depend on readline support — those scripts would
violate the GPL, but they would not work at all without readline
support, so this dependency should be pretty clear).

Best wishes,
Arne
-- 
Doktorand
Gruppe: GHG

Raum: 435/410
Tel.: +49 721 608-22885
[email-masked]

Karlsruher Institut für Technologie
IMK-ASF
Postfach 36 40
76021 Karlsruhe