Subject: bug#15218: End of file during parsing only for byte compiled files

From: Johan Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 17:10:35 +0200

> I'm not sure when you see that error (is it when loading the package or
when installing it?).

Loading, yes!

> Assuming it's when loading it, could it be that
you're loading the package in a version of Emacs noticeably older than
the one that compiled the files?

No, it's the exact same binary that installed the package as the one
running it. But if I look at the byte code, the one that package.el
produced is not the same as if I would run byte-compile-file.

> The elpa package is supposed to come without any .elc files, and the .el
files are supposed to be byte-compiled during installation.  Did this
work correctly?

I can see no errors or warnings. See attached log file.

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 2:36 PM, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>wrote:

> > I just released a new version of Ecukes (
> https://github.com/rejeep/ecukes.el).
> > Everything works fine locally, but not when I install via package.el.
> Then
> > I get this error:
>
> > End of file during parsing:
> > /path/to/project/.cask/24.3.1/elpa/ecukes-20130830.16/ecukes-core.elc
>
> > And if I remove that .elc file, it complains on the next file and so on.
> If
> > I remove all .elc files it works fine.
>
> I'm not sure when you see that error (is it when loading the package or
> when installing it?).  Assuming it's when loading it, could it be that
> you're loading the package in a version of Emacs noticeably older than
> the one that compiled the files?
>
> > So something with the byte compilation does not work, but if I byte
> compile
> > all files locally it works just fine.
>
> The elpa package is supposed to come without any .elc files, and the .el
> files are supposed to be byte-compiled during installation.  Did this
> work correctly?
>
>
>         Stefan
>