Subject: 24.3.50; Can't modify initial frame appearance on gtk3 Emacs

From: Katsumi Yamaoka <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 16:48:09 +0900

Hi,

I tried gtk3 Emacs for the first time and found this behavior.
Say, I have only this line in the .emacs file, it doesn't achieve
its purpose:

(setq default-frame-alist '((width . 40) (height . 20)))

The Emacs frame once goes small but expands again.  Then I tried
making it run after splashing the screen.  These two advices make
no difference:

(defadvice command-line-1 (after set-frame-size activate)
  "Set the frame size after splashing the screen."
  (setq default-frame-alist '((width . 40) (height . 20))))

(defadvice command-line-1 (after set-frame-size activate)
  "Set the frame size after splashing the screen."
  (modify-frame-parameters nil '((width . 40) (height . 20))))

But this works:

(defadvice command-line-1 (after set-frame-size activate)
  "Set the frame size after splashing the screen."
  (modify-frame-parameters nil '((width . 40) (height . 20)))
  (setq default-frame-alist '((width . 40) (height . 20))))

In relation to this, changing the default font in the .emacs
file makes the splash image disappear.  Here it is:

(set-face-font
 'default
 "-*-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1")

This can be solved by a similar workaround like the following:

(defadvice command-line-1 (after set-default-font activate)
  "Set the default font after splashing the screen."
  (set-face-font
   'default
   "-*-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1"))

I think those workarounds should be unnecessary because of
`frame-notice-user-settings'.

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-cygwin, GTK+ Version 3.8.2)
 of 2013-08-30 on localhost
Bzr revision: 114075 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The Cygwin/X Project', version 11.0.11402000
Configured using:
 `configure --verbose --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --without-imagemagick
 --without-dbus --without-gconf --without-gsettings'