Subject: 24.2; Rcirc cannot send part or quit messages with spaces.

From: Kete <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 20:28:58 -0400

1. M-x irc
2. Make sure you are in a channel.
3. C-c C-p
4. #rcirc test message with spaces

Only /test/ appears. Similar results happen with //part/, //quit/ and 
/C-c C-q/.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
of 2012-09-18 on mercury, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11103000
Configured using:
`configure '--build' 'i686-linux-gnu' '--build' 'i686-linux-gnu'
'--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
'--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
'--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
'--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp' 

'--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
'--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
'build_alias=i686-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector
--param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Wformat-security -Wall -Wall'
'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro'
'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
value of $LC_ALL: nil
value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
value of $LC_TIME: nil
value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
rcirc-track-minor-mode: t
show-paren-mode: t
global-auto-revert-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
0 SPC l i n e s . <return> C-c C-j # r c i r c <return>
C-c C-p # r c i r c SPC t e s t i n g SPC p a r t SPC
m e s s a g e <return> C-c C-j # r c M-/ <return> C-c
ESC C-g C-c C-p # r c i r c SPC " T e s t i n g SPC
p a r t SPC m e s s a g e " <return> C-c C-j # r c
M-/ <return> C-c C-SPC C-x z C-x b C-s <return> C-S-c
ESC C-g C-c C-p M-p C-e SPC t e s t i n g \ SPC p a
r t \ SPC m e s s a g e s <return> C-c C-j M-p M-p
<return> C-c C-p M-p M-p M-f C-f ' C-e ' <backspace>
` M-b M-b M-b <backspace> ` <return> C-c j C-c C-j
M-p M-p <return> R c i r c SPC c a n n o t SPC h a
n d l e SPC s p a c e s SPC i n SPC p a r t / q u i
t SPC m e s s a g e s . M-b M-b M-b M-b M-b M-b s e
e m SPC t o SPC <return> C-x b <return> C-c C-SPC R
c i r c SPC c a n ' t SPC d o SPC s p a c e s SPC i
n SPC i t s SPC q u i t / p a r t SPC m e s s a g e
s . <return> C-c C-SPC C-x z z z M-x r e p <tab> o
r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
SUBTREE
Quit [2 times]
Trashing...done
Trashing...done
goto-history-element: End of history; no default available
Trashing...done
Repeating command rcirc-next-active-buffer [5 times]
Scanning for dabbrevs...done
Repeating command rcirc-next-active-buffer [4 times]
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.2/site-lisp/debian-startup hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/textmodes/flyspell

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils image-mode dired-aux
cal-move parse-time dired macros misearch multi-isearch thingatpt
org-indent org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew org-irc
org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp ob-exp org-exp-blocks find-func
org-agenda org-info org-gnus org-docview org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org
warnings advice advice-preload ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table org-footnote org-src ob-comint ob-keys ob ob-eval org-pcomplete
pcomplete comint ansi-color org-list org-faces org-compat org-entities
org-macs noutline outline easy-mmode format-spec cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs browse-url help-fns help-mode view mule-util tabulated-list
repeat dabbrev regexp-opt flyspell ispell disp-table gnutls
network-stream auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
macroexp assoc gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache starttls tls
rcirc ring info easymenu newcomment paren autorevert ido time-date
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)