Subject: bug#15173: [cp] --link overrides dereference settings

From: Gian Piero Carrubba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 08:52:39 +0100

* [Thu, Nov 07, 2013 at 08:07:11AM +0100] Bernhard Voelker:
>> [0] http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=15806
>
>Okay, so we're leaving the ground of the GNU extension --link here.

Sure. It's a completely separate matter, just with some interactions 
(will follow-up on that report as soon as I've enough time: did more 
researches but as you noticed the commit history is pretty long and not 
always so linear).

>Anyway, I belief that doing a change aside from this --link patch
>would be quite delicate.

I agree. My point here is that I would avoid modifying the behaviour of 
'-r' (even if it's considered "wrong") while working on '--link', as imo

> -      if (x.recursive)
> +      if (x.recursive && ! x.hard_link)

would do. Well... and also that dereference settings in cp should be 
reorder a bit (but again it doesn't belong here).

Ciao,
Gian Piero.