Subject: bug#15154: 24.3; Various GTK warnings on debian jessie/sid

From: Tim Van Holder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 19:01:25 +0200

I typically run emacs via a ssh (PuTTY) session, using the
Cygwin X server.
Emacs was built from sources (24.3 release tarball), with GTK2
auto-selected as X toolkit (even though it apparently uses GTK3).

Starting emacs (-Q or otherwise), results in:

  ** (emacs:<pid>): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus:
     Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-OfJcFmA1Hb: Connection
     refused

Given that I explicitly disabled DBus stuff (to avoid dbus-launch
processes that would prevent a clean ssh exit) when building emacs, this
is already a bit odd. There is no such entry in /tmp (in fact there are
no /tmp/dbus-* files at all), nor is there any envvar containing
OfJcFmA1Hb.

Also on startup, the minibuffer is higher that I would expect; this
fixes itself the first time the minibuffer becomes the active buffer.
This may be due to the initial rendering of the resize handle.

When customizing something, even when not actually changing anything,
pressing "State>Set for current session" or clicking twice on the
"Custom" menu (to open and close the pop-up menu) results in one or
two cases of:

  (emacs:17279): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_device_get_source: assertion
  `GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed

In addition, I frequently got

  (emacs:<pid>): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to parse menu bar accelerator
  'VoidSymbol'

which seemed to happen when autocompleting in the minibuffer, but which
I can't now reproduce. If I see it again and can reproduce it reliably,
I'll file
a separate report.

All fairly harmless things, but if you start emacs via a plain "emacs&",
all those messages do start to pollute the terminal.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.2)
 of 2013-08-14 on leeloo
Windowing system distributor `The Cygwin/X Project', version 11.0.11402000
System Description:     Debian GNU/Linux testing (jessie)

Configured using:
 `configure '--with-wide-int' '--without-dbus' '--without-gconf'
 '--without-gsettings''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p <tab> o <tab> r <tab> <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading /home/tim.vanholder/.custom.el (source)...done
Loading whitespace...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Quit
GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.2) of
2013-08-14 on leeloo
Making completion list...
Quit
scroll-bar-toolkit-scroll: End of buffer
scroll-bar-toolkit-scroll: Beginning of buffer
Making completion list... [3 times]

Load-path shadows:
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/global/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/global/dictionaries-common/ispell hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/textmodes/ispell

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums help-mode easymenu
whitespace zastai jka-compr uniquify advice help-fns cl-lib
advice-preload paren gnus gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util mail-utils mm-util
mail-prsvr wid-edit delsel cus-start cus-load time-date tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dynamic-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)