Subject: Re: bug#15138: Font selection error on OSX

From: Kenichi Handa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 21:10:10 +0900

In article <[email-masked]>, Jan Djärv <[email-masked]> writes:

> libotf is genrelly not available on OSX, and probably not
> working with GNUStep either (unless they use it at a lower
> level).  So the OTF case is not relevant to HAVE_NS
> anyway.

Hindi is just an example.  CJK characters are another
example.  We should select a proper CJK font depending of
the current language environment.

> For OSX the way to go is to use Core text for this.  I
> think GNUStep is looking at implementing Core text to
> replace their old display postscript implementation.  So
> this is basically a temporary fix.  Anyway, if you prefer
> OTF for some script, why not mark those scripts with
> "prefer-otf" and check if any otf-features are available?

?? The default fontset alreay has such a specification.  For
devanagari script, for instance, Emacs tries to find an OTF
font which support "rphf" OTF Feature for "deva" script.

     (devanagari ,(font-spec :registry "iso10646-1" :otf '(deva nil (rphf)))
		 (nil . "iso10646.indian-1"))

---
Kenichi Handa
[email-masked]