Subject: bug#15135: 24.3; Weird behavior with dead chars

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 19:33:17 +0200

Hi,
I encounter an odd behavior using emacs under Linux. When I type a dead
key like ~ (dead-tilde) or ` (dead-grave) I get the error "<dead-tilde
is undefined>" (where dead-tilde is the name of the dead chars).

What is really weird is that if I open the keybinding help (C-h b) I can
then type everything correctly until I exit the current session.

I tried to launch emacs with -q parameter in case the problem was from
my personnal configuration but the problem persist.

I am using the bépo (dvorak for french) keyboard layout [0] but I have
the same error if I switch to the swiss-french layout.

[0] http://bepo.fr

<#part type="image/png" filename="/home/sam/Images/emacs_dead_grave_error.png" disposition=attachment description="The error message">
<#/part>

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.2)
 of 2013-08-07 on -mnt-storage-buildroots-staging-x86_64-eric
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11402000
Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/usr' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-xft'
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'
 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: fr_CH.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: fr_CH.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: fr_CH.utf8
  value of $LANG: fr_CH.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o <tab> r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu time-date tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)