Subject: Re: bug#15129: 24.3.50; Emacs broken on FreeBSD in/after r113315

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 13:26:57 -0400

Ashish SHUKLA wrote:

>> It can't be the same issue, since that bug report refers to 24.3, which
>> does not have r113315.
>
>Maybe, but I don't use Debian kFreeBSD, and its description seems to match
>what I'm experiencing, and kFreeBSD share same kernel as FreeBSD albeit
>different userland/defaults.

"It hangs" is not exactly a unique set of symptoms.

>Also, I would like to point out that, kFreeBSD is "gnu-kfreebsd" and FreeBSD
>is "freebsd" in configure.ac ($opsys), which means they have different
>workarounds/hacks. :(

Yes. I fail to see the relevance though.

> -        AC_DEFINE(PTY_OPEN, [fd = posix_openpt (O_RDWR | O_CLOEXEC | O_NOCTTY)])
> +        AC_DEFINE(PTY_OPEN, [fd = posix_openpt (O_RDWR | O_NOCTTY)])

This takes it back to the state in was in in Emacs 24.3, so if you think

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=712974

is the same issue, this cannot be the right fix.

(Somebody probably needs to fix 712974 in the emacs-24 branch, else
Emacs 24 seems unlikely to ever get out of Debian unstable. Although
there is other trivia stopping that happening and no sign of anyone
wanting to apply any patch anyway.)