Subject: bug#15127: grep not taking last conflicting option as choice?

From: Bob Proulx <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 12:29:01 -0600

Paul Eggert wrote:
> Perhaps it'd be simpler just to forward bug-grep etc. to
> bug-coreutils?  That'd make the bug-handler side easier
> to deal with.  There's little advantage to keeping all
> the bug reports separate.

It doesn't scale.  Would all GNU bugs to go the coreutils tracker and
mailing list?  That would quickly become very busy here.  It is hard
enough to keep the coreutils project manageable.  It would be the same
if we were to take all of the separate project mailing lists and
combine them all together into one.

Under the hood it is all one BTS.  The difference is only to which
project name the reports get associated with for the project bugs
summary page.  And on the GNU side which mailing list to CC when the
reports come through.  When a new project is added it doesn't set up a
separate BTS.  It is just a new project mailing list association so
that reports tagged to that project can be sent to the right mailing
list.

I think it would be better if we expanded the use to other projects
such as grep.  Then we could simply reassign the bugs to the correct
project and all of the history trail before it would be preserved.

Bob