Subject: bug#15127: grep not taking last conflicting option as choice?

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 20:38:41 -0600

On 08/22/2013 07:43 PM, Linda Walsh wrote:
>> And the point of free software is that YOU are free to modify the
>> software to fit your needs, and share your modifications;
> ----
> Oh, so if I submit patches to fix the problems I've raised, they
> will be incorporated?

Yes, if your patches stand on their own technical merit, and you have
assigned copyright to the FSF for non-trivial patches, then they will be
taken.

>     I have shared multiple patches -- having them dropped on the floor
> makes me unwilling to submit patches for things that they gatekeepers are
> going to unilaterally reject anyway.

Of course, by taking that approach, none of your patches will be
reviewed.  Not all projects "unilaterally reject" patches, and on this
list, we try hard to give constructive comments as to whether a patch is
technically sound, where it could be improved, or at a minimum leave
feedback on why it might not be appropriate upstream but where you are
still free to use it in your own downstream build.

>     Sorry, I thought the 15127 was the bug that got assigned when I
> send the email to the bug-grep reported here:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-grep/2013-08/msg00017.html

Not quite. 15127 is the coreutils bug that you opened here:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2013-08/msg00058.html

Bug-grep does not use the debbugs tracker, so there is no bug number,
other than the URL of the message archive that you just quoted.

> 
> and responded to here:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-grep/2013-08/msg00018.html
> 
> It doesn't seem that the grep bug was assigned a bug number,

Correct - anything that doesn't use debbugs is not given a debbugs number.

> though it
> appeared to be rejected and my response was in regards to it.

If you want to know which package owns a debbugs number, visit that bug,
and note the header.  In particular,

http://debbugs.gnu.org/15127

starts with:

Package: coreutils;

meaning that it is still tied to coreutils, not grep.

-- 
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org