Subject: 24.3; kmacro-end-and-call-macro repeats macro multiple times following isearch-forward

From: Simon Katz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 22:39:41 +0100

If I have a buffer with some text that is repeated several times and
do the following:
  - C-s <some text>  (isearch-forward)   to search for the repeated text
  - C-x (   (kmacro-start-macro)
  - Enter some new text
  - C-s C-s   to search again
  - C-x e  (kmacro-end-and-call-macro)
I get different behaviour in my old and new versions of Emacs.

In Emacs 24.2.1 and all previous versions I've used,
kmacro-end-and-call-macro calls the macro once more, and I can go
through the file making changes one at a time, and I can stop when I
want.

In Emacs 24.3.1, kmacro-end-and-call-macro calls the macro repeatedly
making changes to all the repeated text up to the end of the file.

Interestingly, if I define a similar keyboard macro that uses
next-error rather than isearch-forward I get my changes one at a time.

Is this some bizarre new behaviour for isearch-forward? Can I get the
old behaviour back?

Here's a precise recipe:

  /Applications/Emacs-24-3-1.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q

  Then at the start of the *scratch* buffer:

  C-s   e r   C-x (   x x x x   C-s C-s   C-x e

  Emacs makes multiple changes for the  C-x e.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
 of 2013-03-13 on bob.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1138
Configured using:
 `configure '--host=x86_64-apple-darwin' '--build=i686-apple-darwin'
 '--with-ns' 'build_alias=i686-apple-darwin'
 'host_alias=x86_64-apple-darwin' 'CC=gcc -mmacosx-version-min=10.7
 -isystem
 /Users/david/Xcode-10.7_4.5.2/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.7.sdk/usr/include/
 -F/Users/david/Xcode-10.7_4.5.2/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.7.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
s-x M-x r e p <tab> o r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
kill-region: The mark is not set now, so there is no region
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu time-date tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty emacs)