Subject: bug#15120: 24.3.50; (elisp) `Search-based Fontification': unspecified MATCHER cases

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 10:33:13 -0700 (PDT)

The doc string is good in this regard, but the Elisp manual is not.

The manual says that an element can be FUNCTION.  OK.

And it says, for (MATCHER . SUBEXP), that MATCHER can be a function.  OK.

But it does not say that for all of the other (MATCHER . *) patterns
MATCHER can also be a function.  In fact, for the others MATCHER is left
unspecified.

And for (MATCHER . SUBEXP-HIGHLIGHTER) the doc actually refers to a
"SUBEXP in MATCHER", which suggests, but does not specify, that MATCHER
in this case can be or perhaps even *must be* a REGEXP.

Follow the example of the doc string, or state somewhere that MATCHER,
in all that follows, can be either a regexp or a function...

IOW, make clear just what MATCHER can be, in general or in each of the
cases.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2013-08-07 on ODIEONE
Bzr revision: 113750 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/Devel/emacs/binary --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 CFLAGS=-O0 -g3 LDFLAGS=-Lc:/Devel/emacs/lib
 CPPFLAGS=-Ic:/Devel/emacs/include'