Subject: bug#15119: 24.3.50; (elisp) `Search-based Fontification' - not necessarily `font-lock-keyword-face'

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 10:14:38 -0700 (PDT)

Perhaps I'm missing something, because this has been the case since at
least as far back as Emacs 20.  But it seems wrong to me.

The info in this node says, in more than one place, that highlighting is
done using face `font-lock-keyword-face'.  That is AFAIK, completely
wrong.

It is fine to refer to that face when talking about the examples that
use it.  But is wrong to suggest that that face is always used.

For example:

  `REGEXP'
     Highlight all matches for REGEXP using `font-lock-keyword-face'.
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
and:

  `FUNCTION'
     Find text by calling FUNCTION, and highlight the matches it finds
     using `font-lock-keyword-face'.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wrong - quite misleading.  Unless I'm missing something.

The doc seems to be confusing (a) saying what the thing means and its
effect in general and (b) giving an example of using the thing and
saying what the effect of that is.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2013-08-07 on ODIEONE
Bzr revision: 113750 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/Devel/emacs/binary --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 CFLAGS=-O0 -g3 LDFLAGS=-Lc:/Devel/emacs/lib
 CPPFLAGS=-Ic:/Devel/emacs/include'