Subject: Re: bug#15113: the name for this page is incorrect.

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 06:36:41 -0600

[re-adding the list, with permission of the sender]

On 09/02/2013 12:52 AM, Renewal Computer Services wrote:
> On 8/17/2013 8:23 AM, Eric Blake wrote:
>> On 08/17/2013 02:09 AM, Renewal Computer Services wrote:
>>
>> The name for WHICH page is incorrect?  You need to give us more details
>> if you expect us to know what you want changed.
>>
>>> also, why isn't the whole manual for automake, autoconf, and make
>>> available as HTML online?
>> They are:
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf.html
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html
>>
> http://linux.die.net/man/1/automake
> has the wrong name, just a filler. I wish the online manuals were
> complete. they would be MUCH more useful. an overview does me very
> little good if I don't know how to use the program. at least there's the
> GNU documentation... kinda.

This mailing list is not responsible for the content at linux.die.net;
however, that site appears to be scraping the man pages that get
installed by automake and turning them into web pages.  Man pages are
intentionally shorter than the full documentation, which I already
pointed you to (and which is also available in info format on your
machine, assuming you installed the documentation locally rather than
depending on a web site).

Now, can you please be any more _specific_ about your complaint, in
relation to the manuals that I pointed you to?  I personally find
chapter 2 of the automake manual to be just the very high-level overview
that describes what the autotools are useful for, culminating in a
simple hello-world example usage.  But I'm biased, because I already use
the tool.  In order to improve the documentation, we need actual
comments on how existing text is confusing, what you found missing, and
potential wording we should add, rather than a generalization of "there
is no overview".

-- 
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org