Subject: bug#15112: 24.3; package.el byte compile autoloads

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 10:34:24 +0100

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Stefan,

> I made a little experiment and of course byte-compiling these files
> gives us a ton of headaches, see below.  So I'm not sure this is all
> worth it.  Do we have reason to believe that byte-compiling these files
> would give any significant performance increase?
>
>   ELC      net/tramp-loaddefs.elc

I don't know which kind of experiment you have applied, so I cannot say
anything about the compilation errors. However, I wonder where paths
like "net/tramp-loaddefs.elc" come from. We're speaking about
package.el, meaning we're speaking about ELPA. Tramp in ELPA doesn't use
any subdirectory "net".

Anyway, I don't believe we'll see a performance boost after
byte-compiling loaddef files. They just contain function and variable
declarations, no implementation (but the initial values of variables).

There are exceptions like in tramp-loaddefs.el, but they still don't
count wrt performance, I believe.

Best regards, Michael.