Subject: Re: bug#15095: 24.2; mail items in Tools menu confusing to new users

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 16:42:42 -0400

>> > As you well know, that "Message" thing is the current major mode.  It
>> > was "Rmail" when you were in Rmail.
>> Yes, *I* know that, and *you* know that.  But my point is that this bug
>> report is not about me or you, it's about being confusing to a *new*
>> user, one who is unfamiliar with Emacs.
> The mode line is described in the tutorial, which should be the first
> reading.  A user who doesn't understand what is displayed in the mode
> line will have much more difficult problems than to find her way in
> these 3 menu items.

It's still irrelevant: whether you're in Message mode or Rmail mode has
no implication in terms of whether you're still in Rmail or not.
After all, when I'm typing my message in Message mode (opened from
Gnus), I consider myself as still being in Gnus.  Is it really the case?
Does it matter?

But yes, technically, composing and sending an email is largely separate
from reading email.  There's surprisingly little overlap from
a technical point of view between the two activities.  Also sometimes
you just want to compose an email (maybe even without having set up
mail-reading, since after all, the two require separate configuration as
well, even in MUAs like evolution).  So I think having 3 entries is
fine, but the wording could be improved and there's no reason to pollute
the menu with info about which backend is currently configured (or
about the fact that Message originally grew out of Gnus).

        Stefan