Subject: Re: bug#15076: 24.3.50; Syntax highlighting in the octave-mode

From: Ivan Oreshnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 12:46:06 +0400

Sorry for the late reply. I'm able to reproduce the issue with

`emacs-snapshot' from unstable branch of http://emacs.naquadah.org/,

which uses this git repository to host its sources

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=users/acid/emacs-snapshot.git;a=summary

According to the `octave.el' history

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=users/acid/emacs-snapshot.git;a=history;f=lisp/progmodes/octave.el;h=899bf151a2c025c9abd8b749460d5b4e28174abe;hb=refs/heads/debian/unstable

your latest commits should be in the tree already. My current emacs
version is

"GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.4)
 of 2013-10-03 on prometheus, modified by Debian".

so it seems that your latest commits should be applied to my local
`octave.el' too.

In my previous email I wrote that the bug was fixed in the latest file
from git, however I've noticed that simple evaluation of the file will
not replace my `octave-mode' function; therefore I was working with the
old `octave-mode' version from the stable release at the time.

To reproduce the issue you should

1. Change the background color of the builtin face to make things more
   evident. For example, run `customize-face' for
   `font-lock-builtin-face' and change the background color to
   something bright and annoying like `firebrick'. 
2. Open any octave file with the function definition inside. Blank
   space in the scope of the function should be bright red.

Hope it helps.

Ivan.