Subject: bug#1507: move-end-of-line inline doc unclear. (intangibility)

From: xah lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 15:58:54 -0800

it seems to me that the move-end-of-line inline doc is unclear.

in the inline doc for move-end-of-line, it says:

«
move-end-of-line is an interactive compiled Lisp function in  
`simple.el'.
It is bound to M-D.
(move-end-of-line arg)

Move point to end of current line as displayed.
(If there's an image in the line, this disregards newlines
which are part of the text that the image rests on.)

With argument arg not nil or 1, move forward arg - 1 lines first.
If point reaches the beginning or end of buffer, it stops there.
To ignore intangibility, bind `inhibit-point-motion-hooks' to t.
»

• It is not clear to me what this sentence means: “(If there's an  
image in the line, this disregards newlines which are part of the  
text that the image rests on.)” So, if there is a image on the  
current line... i don't know what it means to say it disregard  
newline, because to me eol char is at the end of line...

• the last paragraph about intangibility is unclear. (i don't  
understand what it means. Looking up on that hook var didn't help much.)

• am not sure if move-end-of-line should be used in elisp code,  
which is my primary query. If this function is not suitable in elisp  
code, perhaps the doc should say.

similar in move-beginning-of-line.

   Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄