Subject: bug#15069: Introduction to Elisp 14.3: Function 'count-words-defun' does not work as described.

From: Sian Mountbatten <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 12:32:34 +0100

From: Sian Mountbatten <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 24.3; Introduction to Elisp 14.3: count-words-defun misbehaves
--text follows this line--
This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgment at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

I used C-xC-e to evaluate the functions count-words-in-defun and
count-words-defun as displayed in the Info section 14.3 of the
Introduction. I then used C-xC-e to set the key sequence C-c= to invoke
the latter function. I then positioned point in the sample function
provided to see whether the two count-words functions were correct.
Instead of reporting that there were 10 words or symbols in the
function, Emacs reported that there were 1 word or symbol and point was
moved to the beginning of section 14.3. Point should not have been moved
in that fashion, according to the Introduction.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
     `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.2)
  of 2013-06-25 on sochi, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11204000
System Description:    Debian GNU/Linux unstable (sid)

Configured using:
  `configure '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu'
  '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
  '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
  '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
  '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
  '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
  '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
  'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector
  --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall'
  'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro' 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: eo.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
SPC e m SPC SPC <return> 1 <backspace> I n t o <backspace>
r o d u c t i o n SPC t o SPC E l i s p SPC 1 4 . 3
: SPC c o u n t - w o r d s - d e f u n SPC d <backspace>
n o t SPC w o r k i n g SPC a s SPC d e s c r i b e
d <return> C-y <up> <down> C-x 2 C-x C-f * m e s <tab>
<return> C-SPC <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> M-w C-x k <return> C-y C-x 0 <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <backspace> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <right> <right> <right>
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right>
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right>
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right>
M-d M-d p o e n i k a t u @ f a s t m a i l . c o .
u k <right> <right> C-c C-c y e s <return> m a i l
SPC c l i e n t <return> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> C-x o <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <buffer> C-a C-x
k <return> C-x 1 C-x C-f * m e s <tab> <return> <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <S-down> <S-down>
<S-down> <S-down> <S-down> <S-down> <S-down> <S-down>
<S-down> M-w C-x k <return> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar>
<help-menu> <emacs-manual-bug> <help-echo> <tab> <tab>
<tab> <return> SPC q M-x r e p o r t SPC e m SPC SPC
<return>

Recent messages:
Mark set [2 times]
Auto-saving...done
byte-code: Beginning of buffer [9 times]
Mark set
Saving file /home/sian/.emacs...
Wrote /home/sian/.emacs [2 times]
Sending...
Mark set [2 times]
Sending via mail...
Sending...done

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp/debian-startup hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/textmodes/flyspell

Features:
(jka-compr info mailalias mailclient browse-url cus-edit cus-start
cus-load wid-edit help-mode shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug
message format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils server
saveplace time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Sian Mountbatten (home web-site http://www.poenikatu.co.uk/>)
Learning C++11 from the C++ Primer 5th edition.
I'm an associate FSF member (no. 10888).
Help us support software freedom! http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=10888