Subject: Re: bug#15046: 24.3.50; Extra Line under minibuffer in Mac OSX fullscreen

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 15:52:02 +0200

>> The minibuffer/echo area window is just another window, so why would
>> Emacs treat it specially?  If other windows can have partially visible
>> lines, why cannot the minibuffer window have them?
>
> IMO, it is much better to give the leftover space to the main
> window(s) than to the mini-window.  The main reason I can think of now
> is that the main window(s) is (are) more likely to have more text
> beyond its last wholly-visible line than the mini-window (which
> usually will not need more than one line).

And moreover: In the cases when the text in the mini-window spans to
more than one line, Emacs should expand the height of the mini-window
so that the whole text is visible (unless the number of lines is too
high.  In that case there is no choice but to scroll).

IOW: I don't think it is appropriate for the mini-window to show only
part of a line.  The whole text should be visible if possible,
resizing the mini-window when necessary.

-- 
Dani Moncayo