Subject: bug#15045: Point jumps inappropriately around time of Semantic lexing

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 19:28:50 +0300

> Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 10:12:32 -0400
> From: Barry OReilly <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, David Engster <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], 
> 	Eric Ludlam <[email-masked]>
> 
> > The original problem is rare enough
> 
> You're wrong to call it rare. Dave Milter, David Engster, and I have
> seen it separately.

For functionality so widely and freely used in every corner of Emacs,
anything is "rare" in my book, except if it totally screws up Emacs
for almost everyone.  input-pending-p is all over the place, so if it
were not "rare", we would be facing an outcry long ago.

> That input-pending-p behaves this way is apparently surprising to
> the Elisp developer.

Yes, it _is_ surprising.  But if every surprising behavior will
necessarily lead to change in long entrenched behavior, Emacs will
never be stable.

> It is even more surprising to the user upon witnessing such a
> jarring symptom.

I didn't say that problem shouldn't be solved.  I didn't say we should
let users deal with this.  So I find this remark unfair.