Subject: bug#15038: 24.3.50; Doc bug in "(eintr) Change a defun"

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 19:40:58 +0300

> From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 12:37:20 -0400
> 
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> > I think Dany is describing the way Emacs displays that node, not the
> > exact text in the Info file.
> 
> Standalone info seems to handle it fine.

It uses a different way of finding the end of a node name (which OTOH
fails in some cases Emacs doesn't).

> > The problem is in the Texinfo sources: a node name cannot include a
> > period, see the Texinfo manual.
> 
> ./misc/org.texi:@node org-crypt.el,  , Interaction, Miscellaneous
> ./misc/edt.texi:@node edt-user.el
> ./misc/epa.texi:@node Encrypting/decrypting *.gpg files
> ./misc/cc-mode.texi:@node    Sample .emacs File, Performance Issues, Odds and Ends, Top
> ./misc/mairix-el.texi:@node About mairix and mairix.el
> ./misc/mairix-el.texi:@node Setting up mairix.el
> ./misc/mairix-el.texi:@node Using mairix.el
> ./misc/mairix-el.texi:@node Extending mairix.el

They are all in error.  From the Texinfo manual:

   * Unfortunately, you cannot reliably use periods, commas, or colons
     within a node name; these confuse the Info reader.  Also, a node
     name may not start with a left parenthesis preceding a right
     parenthesis, as in '(not)allowed', since this syntax is used to
     specify an external manual.  (Perhaps these limitations will be
     removed some day.)

     If you insist on using these characters in node names, accepting
     the resulting substandard Info output, in order not to confuse the
     Texinfo processors, you must still escape those characters, by
     using either special insertions (*note Inserting a Comma::) or
     '@asis' (*note @asis::).  For example:

          @node foo@asis{::}bar

     As an example of avoiding the special characters, the following is
     a section title in this manual:

          @code{@@unnumberedsec}, @code{@@appendixsec}, @code{@@heading}

     But the corresponding node name lacks the commas (and the '@''s,
     but that is historical):

          unnumberedsec appendixsec heading