Subject: Re: bug#15029: 24.3; feature-request: add window-focus-lost-hook

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 10:42:02 +0300

> Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 22:38:15 -0400
> From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> jit-lock is tolerable because it is used in a very narrow way, for
> updating text properties.  If it were used more broadly, it would
> be a disaster.

jit-lock is indeed used more broadly, although in a small number of
features for now.  So if this is a disaster, it is already here.

> post-command-hook is also used in narrow ways, and it doesn't
> cause anything strange to happen just because you move the mouse.

post-command-hook is used for so many optional features in Emacs that
I cannot begin to understand how can you call that "narrow ways".

> If I understand what mouse-autoselect-window does, it only causes
> switching windows -- it does not run Lisp code.

mouse-autoselect-window starts a timer that will run Lisp when it
expires.