Subject: Re: bug#15029: 24.3; feature-request: add window-focus-lost-hook

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 22:38:10 -0400

[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider
        [ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,
        [ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example.

    To me, It seems a perfectly reasonable request to want Emacs do certain
    things (eg save all files) when it loses input focus.

That is a bizarre thing to do.  The right way to handle this is auto-save,
which operates whether you change focus or not, and doesn't alter the
files someone else will really look at.

There is no accounting for tastes, but I don't think a questionable
feature should be installed so people can do something so strange.

    As for debugging, same procedure as always: does it happen with emacs -Q?
    If not, it's something in your config, so bisect .emacs until you find
    the line that causes it.

I don't think you understand the problem.  The problem is how to debug
a program when switching windows to the debugger triggers it to do
something.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation
51 Franklin St
Boston MA 02110
USA
www.fsf.org  www.gnu.org
Skype: No way! That's nonfree (freedom-denying) software.
  Use Ekiga or an ordinary phone call.