Subject: 24.3.50; C-u M-x dired Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)

From: Thomas Weickert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 22:12:10 +0200

Hi,

  $ emacs -Q

  C-u M-x dired
  with ls options '-alR' for any directory results in:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
  file-name-absolute-p(nil)
  dired-insert-directory("/home/thomas/software/emacs-git/emacs/" "-alR" nil nil t)
  dired-readin-insert()
  dired-readin()
  dired-internal-noselect("~/software/emacs-git/emacs/" "-alR")
  dired-noselect("~/software/emacs-git/emacs/" "-alR")
  dired("~/software/emacs-git/emacs/" "-alR")
  call-interactively(dired record nil)
  command-execute(dired record)
  execute-extended-command((4) "dired")
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)

bye Thomas

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.6.4)
 of 2013-08-05 on thomas-laptop
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11303000
System Description:	Ubuntu 13.04

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/home/thomas/.prefix/emacs-2013-08-05
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --without-dbus --without-gconf
 --without-gsettings'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x t o g <tab> d e <tab> e r <tab> <return> C-u M-x 
d i r e d <return> R <return> s o <tab> e m <tab> e 
m <tab> <return> M-x r e p o <tab> r <tab> <return

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Debug on Error enabled globally
Entering debugger...
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu debug dired cus-start cus-load
time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
gfilenotify dynamic-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
testsignature