Subject: Re: bug#15024: 24.3; Crash when editing pattern for Helm-for-files

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 14:41:37 +0300

> From: "Sebastien Vauban" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 10:46:44 +0200
> 
> > Can you run Emacs under GDB at all times?
> 
> You mean the following, right?
> 
> $ cd /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/emacs-trunk/bin
> $ gdb emacs.exe
> ...
> (gdb) r

Yes.  (But please use "./emacs.exe", to avoid the slim chance of
running a different executable.)

> BTW, is it `emacs.exe' or `runemacs.exe' I have to run?

emacs.exe

> Question: running it like that, or attaching GDB, is it different?

It's not too different, if you attach the debugger before the problem
happens.  But the first way is preferable because it keeps the
standard streams of emacs.exe connected to the console where you run
GDB, so GDB commands, such as "pp", which call functions inside Emacs,
still work.  When you attach the debugger to a running Emacs, the
standard streams are not available, and "pp" and its ilk will appear
to do nothing.

Thanks.