Subject: Re: bug#15014: 24.3.50; In text-mode, incorrect forward-sexp causes delete-pair malfunction

From: Barry OReilly <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 10:15:14 -0400

> You mean "to this user"

Oh, I'm the only user who thinks this is wrong behavior for
forward-sexp and delete-pair?

> I do expect that most programmers will use " in text-mode in ways
> that behave well when treated as string delimiters, so that might be
> a good option in general, but if some text contains a non-matched "
> the behavior tends to be pretty annoying, so I'm not sure it's a
> safe enough change.

I'm not arguing here that we font lock double quoted strings (though
I'm not convinced either). Without font locking, I can't think of a
concrete case that yields the "pretty annoying behavior". What do you
have in mind?

I added

  (modify-syntax-entry ?\" "$")

to my configuration and find that forward-sexp and delete-pair seem to
work without confusion, even in the presence of odd double quotes. It
seems forward-sexp just scans forward from point.