Subject: 24.3; Scrolling Performance

From: "Calkins, Chad M" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 17:33:02 +0000

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgment at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

Open large C++ file (17,000 line in this case).  Hold down Page Down
key.  Emacs will scroll two or three times and then pause for 15 seconds
or more.  Once you have scrolled to the bottom of the file Page Down
will work reasonably, however page up remains slow.  emacs -Q is
marginally faster than my configuration (just marginally).  When doing
any scrolling the CPU is maxed.  (core 2 duo)

Emacs GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) also has slower initial
scroll through, it does not however lock up and after the initial scroll
through both page up and page down display every single step.  (Initial
scroll through is only marginally slower than subsequent ones).

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
c:/working_chad/emacs_new_current/emacs-24.3/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
`configure --with-gcc (4.7) --cflags
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libiconv-1.13.1-1-dev/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8/include/libxml2'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Org

Minor modes in effect:
  which-function-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-movement> <mouse-1> <C-prior> <C-home> C-z <up>
<up> <C-home> C-s c r e a t e <up> <up> <up> <up> <up>
<up> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <wheel-up> <double-wheel-up>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <menu-bar> <Org> <Logging
work> <Clock in> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <Org> <Logging
work> <Clock out> <menu-bar> <Org> <Logging work> <Clock
in> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <wheel-up>
<double-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up>
<triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <wheel-up> <double-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up>
<triple-wheel-up> <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<wheel-up> <double-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up>
<triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up>
<triple-wheel-up> <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement>
<mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-s c r e a t e
SPC u s <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> c r e a t SPC <backspace>
e SPC u s e r SPC f o r t i s SPC i d e n t i f i e
d SPC b y SPC f o r t i s ; <return> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> C-s g r a n t C-s C-s C-s <C-home> C-s C-s
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> g r a n t SPC d b a SPC t
o SPC f o r t i s ; <return> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-movement> <wheel-up> <drag-mouse-1> <wheel-down>
<wheel-down> <wheel-down> <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <wheel-up> <double-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up>
<triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up>
<triple-wheel-up> <wheel-up> <double-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up>
<triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <wheel-up> <double-wheel-up>
<triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up>
<C-kp-3> <C-f12> <wheel-down> <wheel-down> <wheel-down>
<wheel-down> <double-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <wheel-down>
<wheel-down> <double-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <help-echo> <wheel-up> <double-wheel-up>
<triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up>
<wheel-up> <double-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up>
<triple-wheel-up> <wheel-up> <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down>
<C-f12> <left> <left> <left> <left> C-c C-c <help-echo>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <home>
<S-down> <delete> <up> C-c C-c <up> <up> <right> <down>
<right> <right> <right> <up> <down> C-c C-c <menu-bar>
<Org> <Logging work> <Clock out> <menu-bar> <Org> <Logging
work> <Clock in> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement>
<mouse-1> M-x r e p o r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Clock starts at [2013-08-02 Fri 10:41] - showing entire task time.
byte-code: Beginning of buffer [13 times]
Mark saved where search started [2 times]
Mark set
Mark saved where search started
Auto-saving...done
Mark set
org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c: C-c C-c can do nothing useful at this location
Clock stopped at [2013-08-02 Fri 10:54] after HH:MM = 0:13
Clock starts at [2013-08-02 Fri 10:55] - showing entire task time.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail mail-utils
sql vc-cvs vc-rcs vc-dir ewoc vc misearch multi-isearch add-log
vc-dispatcher vc-svn hideshow help-mode tabify org-table org-clock
w32-fullscreen org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew org-irc
org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp ob-exp org-agenda org-info
org-gnus org-docview org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org ob-tangle ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-src ob-comint ob-keys org-pcomplete
pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-eval org-loaddefs format-spec cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs longlines confluence advice help-fns
advice-preload confluence-edit image-file browse-url thingatpt
ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-help ediff-util ediff-mult
ediff-init ediff url-http tls url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums url-gw xml-rpc xml doc-view jka-compr image-mode
dired goto-last-change warnings server org-exp-blocks org-compat
org-macs find-func iimage php-mode etags cc-langs cl cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe easymenu ds-grep derived compile comint
ansi-color ring cl-macs gv cl-lib tempo url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars mailcap xml-parse
doxymacs which-func imenu autorevert paren cua-base cus-start cus-load
time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32
ls-lisp w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process w32 multi-tty emacs)