Subject: bug#15002: 24.3; W7 right-click "Open with ..." does not associate runemacs.exe

From: Joseph Giampapa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 21:20:09 +0000

1. Yesterday (2013-07-31), with emacs 23.2 installed on my Windows7 (64bit)
   desktop, I unzipped emacs-24.3-bin-i386.zip using <right mouse>7-Zip "Unzip here".

2. I copied the unzipped folder to "C:\Program Files (x86)\GNU\emacs-24.3".

3. I clicked "C:\Program Files (x86)\GNU\emacs-24.3\bin\addpm.exe" to update the
   new program menu group.

4. Windows - All Programs - Gnu Emacs - Emacs; M-x version --> "GNU Emacs 24.3.1
   (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN"

5. Right click "C:\Program Files (x86)\GNU\emacs-24.3\bin\runemacs.exe"
   "Pin to Taskbar"  It does and it loads from there.

5.5. I deleted "C:\Program Files (x86)\GNU\emacs-23.2".

6. <=== The Problem ===>
   Right click "foo.bib", "bar.tex", or "foobar.txt", "Open with ..." does not
   allow me to select "C:\Program Files (x86)\GNU\emacs-24.3\bin\runemacs.exe".
   "Open with" presents me with a dialog box. I choose the "Browse..." button,
   navigate to "runemacs.exe", double-click the file, which populates the text
   box, but when I press "Open", "runemacs.exe" does not appear in the "Open
   with" dialog box as a program that I can choose.

7. I can choose "C:\Program Files (x86)\GNU\emacs-24.3\bin\emacs.exe" ("GNU
   Emacs: The extensible self-documenting text editor"), which opens the
   annoying command window in the background.

8. I can also choose "C:\Program Files (x86)\GNU\emacs-24.3\bin\emacsclientw.exe"
   ("GNU EmacsClient: Client for the extensible self-documenting text editor"),
   but that produces the following error message:
   Emacsclient ERROR
   C:\Program Files (x86)\GNU\emacs-24.3\bin\emacsclientw.exe: No socket or
   alternate editor. Please use:
   --server-file (or environment variable EMACS_SERVER_FILE)
   --alternate-editor (or environment variable ALTERNATE_EDITOR)
   [OK]
   How can I remove this "emacsclientw.exe" from the "Open with" association?

9. I had this problem years ago when I worked in another department
   (unrestricted SW use) with an earlier version of emacs for
   Windows 2k. The problem disappeared with a new OS install and a new version of emacs.

   I presently work in an environment where I can only run "approved
   software". Everything else is forbidden by policy. Emacs is allowed.
   I cannot edit my registry, but I can ask my IT department to edit it for
   me. Is this a registry problem? If so, can I ask my IT department to correct
   this problem by making certain edits? If so, which ones?

Thank you,
Joseph

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
 of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.7) --cflags -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libiconv-1.13.1-1-dev/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8/include/libxml2'

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSPATH: C:\Program Files (x86)\GNU\emacs-24.3
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
p m C-s C-s C-a <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> 
<help-menu> <find-emacs-packages> C-s d e b b C-s C-s 
C-a C-x k <return> C-x o C-x k <return> C-x k <return> 
<escape> x d e b b u t g s <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> g s - g n u - s e a r c h <return> C-b 
C-b C-b C-b C-b C-b C-b C-k <return> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <external-packages> 
<escape> x l i s t SPC p a c k a g e s <return> C-s 
d e b b C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f 
C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> C-s p r o b l e m C-s C-s C-a 
C-x 1 C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-l C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p 
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p 
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p 
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p 
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p 
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p 
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p 
C-p C-x k <return> C-v C-v C-v <escape> C-g C-x k <return> 
p f <help-echo> <escape> x r e p o r t SPC e m a c 
s SPC b u g <return>

Recent messages:
Mark saved where search started [2 times]
RET = select, <mouse-2> = select, d = to finder directory, q = quit, ? = help
Mark saved where search started
execute-extended-command: Cannot open load file: debbugs-gnu
Fill column set to 80 (was 70)
View mode: type <f1> for help, h for commands, q to quit.
Contacting host: elpa.gnu.org:80
Failed to download `gnu' archive.
Mark saved where search started [2 times]
call-interactively: End of buffer [8 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail network-stream
starttls url-http tls mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums url-gw
url-cache url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv password-cache url-vars mailcap goto-addr thingatpt view
finder finder-inf find-func lisp-mnt package noutline outline easy-mmode
misearch multi-isearch dired-aux dired gnus gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util
mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr bookmark pp cus-edit easymenu cus-start cus-load
wid-edit time time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
dos-w32 ls-lisp w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process w32 multi-tty emacs)