Subject: bug#14992: 24.2.91; Initial-major-mode not respected!

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 12:17:44 +0200

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Sebastien Vauban
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> With the following minimal .emacs file

[...]

> (info) Loading `d:/Users/sva/src/emacs-leuven/.emacs-minimal.el'...done

So, no, you're not using that code as an .emacs file, you're likely doing

  emacs -Q -l .emacs-minimal.el

and, at that point, *scratch* already has been created, in the default
major mode.

If I put you code on .emacs, I get

(info) Loading `c:/Devel/emacs/test/.emacs'...
First-change-hook called for temporary buffer ` *temp*' (in
`fundamental-mode') [9 times]
First-change-hook called for temporary buffer ` *load*' (in
`fundamental-mode') [9 times]
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
First-change-hook called for temporary buffer `*scratch*' (in
`fundamental-mode')
First-change-hook called for temporary buffer `*About GNU Emacs*' (in
`fundamental-mode')

   J