Subject: Re: bug#14984: 24.3.50; "-bg black" command line option should automatically set foreground color

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 21:07:34 -0700

Miles Bader <[email-masked]> writes:

> The Emacs defaults are white background and black foreground colors.
>
> If one starts emacs with just "-bg black", it results in black text on a
> black background, although most colored emacs faces are ok as they
> automatically adapt the black background.
>
> This is obviously not so user friendly, and it would be good if emacs
> automatically chose a foreground color to match the background color
> (absent any explicit "-fg" option).

Hm...  Well, it might be more user-friendly, but I think it would be
slightly surprising to also change the -fg colour when you set -bg on
the command line.  The foreground colour may be specified in .Xdefaults
or something.

I guess if there is absolutely no foreground colour specification, then
setting the foreground upon -bg black would be friendlier, but what if
the user said -bf "#000001" (i.e., "almost black")?

So I think special-casing one particular value to DWIM would be
difficult to justify, and I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no