Subject: bug#14979: 24.3; Feature Request: query-replace-backward

From: Ben A. <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 16:44:40 -0400

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

> One unclear point: you said that you want to replace words backwards.
> Currently a numeric argument or C-u means to replace words forwards
> (delimited by word boundary characters).  If a negative argument
> will mean normal non-word replacement backwards, then what a prefix
> should mean word replacement backwards?  To summarize the question:
>
> no prefix M-% - normal non-word replacement forwards
> C-u M-% - word replacement forwards
> M-- M-% (negative argument) - normal non-word replacement backwards
> ??? - word replacement backwards
>

A possibility might be:

no prefix M-% - normal non-word replacement forwards
C-u M-% - word replacement forwards
M-0 M-% - normal non-word replacement backwards
M-- M-% - word replacement backwards

this is somewhat analogous to the behavior of kill-line.

Ben