Subject: bug#1497 closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> (emacs -nw loses display of line number with long lines)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#1497: emacs -nw loses display of line number with long lines

It has been closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
1497: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=1497
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems
>From [email-masked] Fri Dec  5 06:40:15 2008
From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
To: Paul R <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: emacs -nw loses display of line number with long lines
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 09:40:16 -0500

This is not a bug.  From the Emacs manual:

     Line-number computation can also be slow if the lines in the buffer
  are too long.  For this reason, Emacs doesn't display line numbers if
  the average width, in characters, of lines near point is larger than
  the value of `line-number-display-limit-width'.  The default value is
  200 characters.

>From [email-masked] Fri Dec  5 03:15:23 2008
From: Paul R <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: emacs -nw loses display of line number with long lines
Package: emacs
Version: 23
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 12:15:17 +0100

To reproduce, open emacs -nw -Q, then type a very long line, for example
typing around 100 random characters, then C-a C-k to kill the string
then maintain C-y to past many times to get a line taking 4 or 5 display
lines. This is your long line. Then hit C-j.

Repeat operation ten times or more to have many such long lines.

Monitor line number in mode-line while operating. At a point, it will
print L??

M-: (line-number-at-pos (point)) will return correct value so it is
likely to be a display problem.

Tested on Linux with emacs 23 cvs -nw in gnome-terminal.

Can't reproduce in X version.

-- 
  Paul