Subject: Re: bug#14967: 24.3.50; package-delete deletes by trashing?

From: Alex <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 21:50:45 -0600

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

> Alex wrote:
>
>> Is that a good idea for new behaviour that results in potential data
>> loss (from the view of a user that expects `package-delete' to trash
>> files rather than outright deleting them)? It might be easy to gloss
>> over an entry in NEWS, after all.
>
> IMO there's no real potential for data loss, since you can just
> reinstall the package from its source. (I assume this is what people do
> in practice, rather than un-trashing.) Although "source is no longer
> available" is in theory possible, in practice I don't think it's a real
> concern.

Usually, though someone might have edited packages inside
package-user-dir and might be saved from an accidental deletion by the
trash can (this happened to me once or twice). If this is deemed to be
too uncommon (it probably is), then it probably won't be too bad to just
make package-delete always delete.